Science: Manuka Honey
One of nature’s special gifts, Manuka Honey is recognised worldwide for its unique properties that are not found in ordinary honey. Manuka honey is produced by bees using pollen taken from the flowers of Leptospermum scoparium, also known as the Manuka Myrtle, a member of the family Myrtaceae, a flowering plant native to Australia and New Zealand.
History of Manuka Honey
Manuka Honey was always considered as just another type of honey, until Dr Peter Molan of the Waikato University in New Zealand discovered that it had a very unique anti-bacterial property. This is because normal honey has a natural mild hydrogen peroxide antiseptic that loses its efficacy in sunlight and heat.
Manuka Honey on the other hand, contains another property (non-peroxide activity) that is more potent and stable than hydrogen peroxide. Professor Thomas Henle at the Technical University of Dresden in Germany discovered that this unique property was due to a particular compound in the honey called methylglyoxal (MGO) that is now considered to be a chemical marker of Manuka Honey.
Potency of Manuka Honey (UMF & GMO)
Manuka Honey is measured by its UMF rating that measures the potency of the non-peroxide activity in Manuka Honey (usually ranging from 5 to 20) and its MGO rating (that measures its bioactive strength) is measured in ppm (parts per million). The most potent sources of Manuka Honey have a UMF of 10+ and a MGO of 100+.
We test every batch of Hab Shifa Manuka Honey to ensure that it achieves scores of at least UMF 10 and MGO of 100 – giving our customers a product that is high in bioactives.
Why Choose Hab Shifa Manuka Honey?
- Produced in Australia by Australian native bees from the pollen of Manuka flowers.
- Lovingly collected by hand for our Australian customers.
- No additives or preservatives – just pure Manuka Honey.
- All Hab Shifa Manuka Honey has a bioactive score of MGO 100+.
- We test the MGO of every batch of honey to ensure we only sell premium Manuka Honey that is high in bioactives.
Health Benefits of Manuka Honey
The anti-bacterial properties of Manuka Honey are well established with proven benefits in wound healing, and are also effective against MRSA.
- Soothes sore throats and gingivitis, as well as protecting against the common cold and healing sinus infections.
- Relieves mild digestive upsets, indigestions, reflux, gastric ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Helps to heal acne and skin wounds, as well as MRSA.
- Promotes general wellbeing and overall digestive health.
Our delicious, premium Hab Shifa Manuka Honey is specially harvested by hand from the lush forests of Australia. Every batch of our honey is tested and certified to have a high level of methylglyoxal – the compound in Manuka Honey responsible for its beneficial properties.
Our Manuka Honey complies with the worldwide HACCP Standard for food safety. We use the international UMF and MGO Standards to measure the bioactivity and potency of every single batch of our premium Australian honey. This means that we can guarantee the purity and bioactivity of our Manuka Honey to our customers.